National Historical Museum (Herrera House)
The country house of Luis Alberto de Herrera is one of the houses that are part of the National Historical Museum. Its goal is that the public knows the process of formation of the country as an independent state.
The country house was built at the end of the 19th century and refurbished in 1911. It is a construction influenced by English architecture, architecture used by the upper class of Uruguay at that time. It is surrounded by an extensive and lush park, designed by the French landscaper Charles Racine.
Luis Alberto de Herrera, a remarkable leader of the “Partido Nacional”, lived there. The house was a meeting place for important national and foreign figures.
Photo: Herrera House
3760 Dr. Luis A. de Herrera Ave.