The Museum exhibits the collection of Arq. Alejandro Artucio Urioste, made up of more than 5,000 pieces collected in a period of 40 years.
This collection was declared a National Historic Monument in 2014.
In its collection there are different varieties of tiles used in Uruguayan architecture, from colonial times to the middle of the 20th century. The highlight of these tiles is that they were imported from different countries, resulting in a huge variety of styles, techniques and formats. There are also tiles brought from Argentina, Holland, France, Mexico, Portugal and Brazil, and an important collection of more than 1,000 French stanniferous tiles from the 19th century.
The museum, in addition to its permanent tile exhibition, has temporary exhibitions of painting, sculpture, ceramics, among others.
The building was designed by the architect Leopoldo Carlos Artucio in 1931, it has a style that combines Art Deco and rationalist architecture.